Tuesday 24 April 2012

Pixie And The Dalai Lama


On Christmas Day 2011 I published a blog-post describing a very moving encounter I had had watching a film of the Dalai Lama.  Little did I know when I wrote that blog-post that only four months later I would actually meet him personally, in Second Life!
Today the Dalai Lama came to Second Life and gave a talk at the Mayo Clinic. The Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit healthcare organisation with a presence in SL.
Tutsy heard that the Dalai Lama was in SL from a Group Notice sent out by Bryn Oh. He tp’d straight over. Sadly I wasn’t online for the talk itself, and only arrived just as the talk was ending. Tutsy excitedly tp'd me.
The Dalai Lama and the audience were still there when I arrived. I managed to snap off a few pics and then cheekily walked stage-left to stand next to him and take a photo of us together.
Everyone said we make a lovely couple. That isn’t for me to say, but, I do know this….at least one of us is going to remember this experience for a very long time indeed.
We chatted a little bit too. Not earth-shatteringly deep, I grant you, but still, for me, special.
[2012/04/24 09:51]  Pixie Rain: Hello Dalai Lama. Thank you for coming. I think your Real Life smile is nicer than your avatar smile :))
[2012/04/24 09:52]  Dalai Lama: Thank you




2 comments:

  1. hehe. well this is an amusing fiction. perhaps a fun experiment in wish fulfillment thru second life role play? this avatar was created by the Mayo Clinic's sim administrator and the sound feed was from the live video stream of the presentation, which was a live question/answer session. the Dalai Lama himself was not running this avatar.

    ReplyDelete